Thursday, March 15, 2012

Death comes knocking - cartoon - Roy Delgado



This cartoon was first rejected by The New Yorker, Playboy, Saturday Evening Post, Medical Economics, Barron's and then on the sixth time out was sold to The Wall Street Journal in 2010.

In my humble opinion, it belonged in The New Yorker, but what the Hell do I know . . . I just dream 'em up and draw them and send them out to see who I think wants them.  Certain cartoons, like this one, I KNOW, when it leaves my drawing board WILL sell . . . you just have that feeling about certain creations.  It's an eerie kind of feeling . . . and when that premonition comes to fruition it DOES make you feel ecstatic, at least for a few moments, and I think those precise feelings is what keeps you in this profession.  The money is just gravy, that's all . . . because if there was no such thing as money, I would be doing this anyway !

   I feel blessed this inkling of an ability was handed to me at birth . . early in my life, l knew all I had to do is reach way down inside, search for whatever they gave me, find it . . . I didn't know exactly what it was, but I believe we are ALL given something go strive for, so he gave you like a little hint like a head start, which was artistic leanings in my case . . I, of course grabbed it tightly with both hands, nurtured it, fine tuned it, fine tuned it again, and then repeated the process, until you realize it is a work in progress . . . You don't know where it will take you because you KNOW it is up to you, ( of course a little luck helps ) to  become  however successful, or to see how high you want or CAN go in this " field " ! 

Once you understand this, it doesn't get any better than this .

-----------------------------

" Those who dream by day
are cognizant of many things
which escape those
who dream only by night. "

Edgar Allan Poe,   1808-1849
- AMERICAN POET AND WRITER

------------------------------------------

" The mind is its own place,
and in itself
can make a heaven or hell,
a hell a heaven. "

 - JOHN MILTON, 1606-1674
   ENGLISH WRITER AND POET

-----------------------------

" He that is over-cautious
    will accomplish little. "

- FREDERICH VON SCHILLER 1759-1805
GERMAN HISTORIAN AND POET

----------------------------------------------

Nuf sed.


No comments:

Post a Comment